Visionect Development Kits¶
Discovering Visionect development kits¶
- Visionect System Boards contain static-sensitive components and should be handled with care. Failure to employ adequate anti-static measures can cause irreparable damage to components. An electrostatic discharge (ESD) can damage static-sensitive devices or micro-circuit. To prevent electrostatic and/or mechanical damage, observe the following precautions:
- Use a electrostatic discharge (ESD) wrist strap to avoid damaging any circuitry.
- Avoid touching pins, leads, or circuitry.
- To prevent damage from static electricity, touch hands or other body parts to metals or an earth ground to discharge the body from static charge before handling static sensitive parts.
- Avoid touching display drivers and connectors. Any possible disconnecting or reconnecting of the EPD (when necessary) should be handled with great care and only after removing any power supply.
Visionect development kits are digital signs out-of-the-box, perfect for quickly deploying mass signage projects in the field. Available in our online store, the turnkey solution combines electronic paper screens and Visionect’s intelligent hardware and software, supporting multiple connectivity options and centralized management of devices.
- Each kit includes:
- A Visionect device of choice. See the different options available here.
- Free access to the Visionect Software Suite and the Digital Signage App
- Micro USB power / configuration cable
- 1 month of free hosting
Getting started with a Visionect development kit¶
To begin using your Visionect development kit, use the enclosed MIcro USB cable to connect the device to the computer and to a power source. This will vary according to the type of development kit you have - consult our device by device how-to guide here.
Make sure your device is connected to a power source or battery before configuring it.
- Download and run the Visionect Configurator:
- For Windows: Download VisionectConfigurator2.exe and run the file.
- For macOS: Download VisionectConfigurator2.dmg, double click on the file and run the app. Install it by dragging it to Apps.
- For Linux: Download VisionectConfigurator2 and run
chmod +x VisionectConfigurator2to make it executable. Run the app as a superuser.
- Begin configuring your device by selecting the type of connectivity the device is to support. Depending on the type of development kit you have, this can either be Wi-Fi, 3G or Ethernet. Enter the details of your connection into the Configurator.
- Wi-Fi connections:
With Wi-Fi connections, type in the name of your Wi-Fi or scan for existing networks, and then select your encryption type.
- Open networks: The device will connect automatically.
- Encrypted networks (WPA2-PSK): Enter the password of your wireless network.
- Enterprise security networks (WPA2-EAP): Enter the password of your wireless network. Next, enter the RADIUS username and password and upload the necessary certificates.
Please note that the Wi-Fi password is limited to 31 characters only.
- 3G connections:
With 3G connections, enter your mobile APN, select the mobile security mode, and type in the mobile username and password.
- Ethernet connections:
When connecting your development kit to Ethernet, simply select ‘Ethernet’ from the connectivity drop-down menu. The device will connect automatically.
- Next, configure your device hosting by entering the address of the server on which your development kit is to run. Your IP address will be obtained automatically.
Included with every Visionect development kit is 1 month of free server hosting. Claim it by using the server address you will receive when purchasing the kit. When the free period expires, you can set up your own server or decide to continue hosting with us. Contact email@example.com for more details.
By clicking ‘Save’, your device will connect. Find out more about the advanced options of the Visionect Configurator here.
III. Upload images¶
Once your device has been configured to your wireless network, you can begin building your signage prototype. To help you get started, we have created a demo Digital Signage App that will upload simple .png or .jpg images to the screen of your device.
Access the Digital Signage App at
http://your_server_IP:8000/ with your desktop browser or mobile phone.
Upload a new image by clicking on the arrow icon in the upper right corner of the app. Select the image to be displayed by clicking on it, displaying a green checkmark in the upper right corner.
You can also select the amount of time the image will be displayed on screen before moving on to the next image in line, and the next. Use ‘Rotate images’ in the upper right corner and type in the duration of an image in seconds.
Remove an image from the app by clicking on the wastebasket icon.
If you’re interested how the app works, feel free to tear it apart and modify it to your liking. The source code is available on GitHub.
IV. Access the Management interface¶
The Visionect Software Suite features a Management Interface where you can configure your electronic paper devices and monitor their performance.
To access the interface, open
http://your_server_IP:8081/ in your browser (Chrome, Safari and Firefox recommended) or on your smart device. Check the battery status of your devices, their signal strength, the software version and firmware version you are running, and more.
Find out more about the administration interface here.
- To log into the Visionect management interface, use the following default login information:
- Username: admin
- Password: admin123